If lighting fireworks is included in your plans, please make sure you’re doing it safely and protecting all of your friends, neighbors, and our Colorado open spaces and wildlife by only using permissible fireworks, purchased from a Colorado licensed fireworks store, stand, or tent. Information on fire restrictions and bans can change rapidly. The most current information can and should be obtained from your local county sheriff or the forest service.
Leave the big shows to the pro’s!
- List of Fourth of July firework shows across Colorado
- Safety Messages
- Join the Fireworks Bucket Brigade!
Using the historic model of community participation in firefighting, we are asking the public to join a modern Fireworks Bucket Brigade - to be a part of the human chain and a partner in properly disposing of fireworks.
Bucket Brigade members ensure that fireworks are properly disposed of so everyone stays safe. Bucket Brigade members:
- Have a working garden hose or bucket of water readily available.
- Ensure that used fireworks are submerged in a bucket of water for at least 20 minutes after use.
- Dispose of used fireworks wet, in a plastic bag, in a covered trash can outside.
- Spread the word to others about using only fireworks that are legal and ensuring that they are properly disposed of.
Proper disposal of fireworks reduces the chance that fireworks will start a fire.
It’s important to understand proper fireworks disposal just as much as it is to understand correct setup and lighting procedures.
Follow these tips to properly dispose of all fireworks:
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby Smoldering fireworks left in a trash bin can start a fire.
- Allow devices to sit untouched for an hour to allow them to fully stop burning
- Dunk fireworks in water after use for at least 20 minutes, and overnight if possible.
- Soak even fireworks that don’t go off. Sometimes “duds” explode late causing fire or injury
- Wrap the soaked fireworks using trash bags, ziploc or plastic wrap so that the wet explosives don’t dry out
- Fireworks are not recyclable and should never be placed in your recycling container.
For Bucket Brigade stickers of your own, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tools for Fireworks Retailers, Wholesalers, and Enforcement Officials
To view and/or download, click the following links:
- Codes, Standards & Laws